Punjabi or Sikh wedding is the strongest reflection that tells people about their culture and religion. Some of the pre-wedding rituals that take place at a Sikh wedding are mentioned below:
What are pre-wedding rituals? Pre-wedding rituals mean functions that are held before the marriage and there are so many rituals that take place before the marriage. There are so many different types of rituals that take place at the bride and groom’s house and some rituals are held in presence of both the families. The pre-wedding rituals of a Sikh wedding are mentioned below:
- Rokka: Rokka is also known as pre-engagement. This is the type of pre-engagement where the family members, friends and relatives come and bless the bride to be. This is the ritual which is done before the engagement ceremony. In this rituals family, friends and relatives of groom gift the bride so many different things. After, this ritual engagement takes place.
- Mangini: Mangini is the most important and significant part of the Sikh wedding. In this ritual both the bride and groom’s family exchange the gifts and so many different things to confirm the engagement.
- Sagai: Sagai is also known as engagement ceremony. This is a ceremony in which both the bride and groom families are present. The bride and groom exchange the rings and do some enjoyment. This is the best ritual of the Sikh wedding. Both the bride and groom families exchange gifts, go to gurudwara praise the god. This is how this Sagai ritual takes place.
- Dholki or sangeet: this is the most common ritual of every type of religion. In this ritual people invite some of the family members of the groom and the bride’s family play drums and sing songs to tease the groom’s family. Nowadays people hire DJ’s and enjoy a lot by dancing on them. After this ritual Mehendi takes place.
- Mehendi: This is also the most common ritual of every type of wedding. In this ritual both the groom and bride apply Mehendi on their hands and enjoy a lot by dancing on DJ’s also. After the Mehendi of groom and bride, the family members also apply Mehendi on their hands to show their level of excitement.
These are some of the common rituals that take place at both the groom and the bride’s house. Nowadays there are so many matrimony apps that help people in finding perfect brides according to their needs such as elite matrimony brides, shaddi.com brides etc. Some of the rituals that take place differently at the bride and groom’s house are mentioned below as follows:
Rituals at the bride’s house
- Chura ritual: In this specific ritual the Chura is worn by the girl or the bride to be. The oldest uncle of the bride wears the Chura on the bride’s hand. This is also an important ritual that takes place only at the bride’s house.
- Maiyan: this is a ceremony that includes all the fun, jaggo rasam. The family of the bride visit relative’s house and collect oil in the pot on their heads say boliyan and enjoy a lot.
- Vatna or Haldi: This is also a ceremony that is common in so many religions the groom and bride are applied Haldi just one day before the wedding.
Rituals that take place at groom’s house
- Sarbala: a young niece and nephew of the groom get ready in the same dress as the groom.
- Sehra: This is a hat like a thing that is worn by the groom on his head to hide his face.
These are some of the pre-wedding rituals and the rituals that take place individually at the groom and bride’s house. If someone is finding for a perfectly matched groom for his or her daughter he or she should take the help of matrimony such as elite matrimony grooms, Shaddi.com grooms etc.